Friday 17 May 2013

Her Enmity


Big Fishes' Carnival at The Lake - Her Enmity

It was often said that humans are selfish creature.

Not only had we began conflict between each other to satisfy our greed, we also had deprived the beautiful mother earth of its bountiful wealth. We had cut many trees, burnt a thousand forest and will burn a thousand more, never even considering about the feelings of existence coexisting with us in this world. Those who were aware of such cruelty of their own kind would then wonder how did the other resident of the earth think of us humans. I was such a person.


The Environment Focus Group from our school was holding a jungle camp, "to strengthen our relationship with nature", or so the teacher said. However, in the first hour I had miraculously lost myself in the vast, uncivilized land full of lush trees and countless fallen leaves covering the dirty ground. I regretted not paying attention to the boring lecture regarding safety measures in the jungle.

Well, it was not like I hate being alone in the forest. In fact, I could say that I loved it, albeit the problem of going back. Since I had nothing to do and nothing came to mind, I decided to just take a walk between the massive roots of skyscraping trees. I wondered why I had not seen any insects, let alone animals.

Speak of the devil. Between the cherry bushes, I noticed a sudden movement when I approached. It instantaneously piqued my curiosity, and I instinctively started tiptoeing instead of simply walking, to conceal my presence from whatever creature it may be. I continued to silently approach until I had gotten a clear vision of it. 

It was a colt, a baby horse. For years had I seen such cute animal from books, and that moment was the first time I had seen one with my naked eye. I was charmed by its clumsy movement, tiny steps, and everything about it that my mind was filled with hundreds if ideas of how to approach it. Simple was best, so I decides to take a branch with cherries and try to lure it to me. 

It looked scared at first. This much I had anticipated; my kind had razed their habitat and deprived it and its kind of a decent life. However, it slowly began to take cautious steps towards me. As I waited and waited, an ear-piercing screech shocked me. Not a moment after I was struck by a massive beast, and was writhing in pain. 
I remained lying on the ground while searching for the beast that struck me out of nowhere. It was a horse, five times bigger than the colt. The horse reared between me and the colt, and it suddenly occurred to me. The horse was the colt's parent. 

As the two creatures left me alone and paralyzed, I pondered over how the enmity between human race and other creatures walking on earth had grown so vile. I understood that my kind had robbed everything from them, and I was just trying to improve such relationship, albeit at individual stage. That was right; they had the rights to attack me for their self-preservation. I was a predator to them.

It seemed that it was too late for us humans to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment